- 15.4 channels
- 150 watts per channel
- 8K Ultra HD
- 3D Audio
- HEOS Built-in
- Dirac Live Ready
A new flagship receiver for Denon
The word "beastly" has been used to describe this behemoth receiver, but Denon's AVR-A1H has the grace and finesse of a ballerina. With 15 channels of robust amplification and high-resolution audio processing, this surround sound powerhouse can give you massively enveloping sound that's dialed in beautifully to your room. Built in Denon's premier Shirakawa factory in Japan, the 'A1H was meticulously tuned by the company's in-house sound experts to offer you a professional cinematic experience.
Advanced features dedicated to sound quality
Denon's multi-channel processing and clock jitter reducer deliver pure sound from your music files and streaming services with incredible depth. Enjoy your music as it was meant to be, as close to "original" as you can get. And with a whopping 150 watts per channel from this receiver's left and right monoblock amplifiers, you'll get volume that rattles the windows, as well as beautiful detail at lower volumes. Cast iron feet and rigid construction protect against vibration and interference, enhancing your music-listening and movie-watching sessions.
New tech or old tech, you're covered
With the 'A1H, Denon has expanded its feature set for the growing 8K video and next-gen gaming market. The previous lineup of Denon home theater receivers introduced limited 8K processing, along with gaming features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT). These features have been applied to the AVR-A1H on all seven HDMI inputs and two of the three HDMI outputs, so you can accommodate even more modern tech into your system.
More options for system calibration
Denon still includes the excellent Audyssey speaker calibration suite to tune your theater sound to your space. Coming in 2023, you'll also have the option to purchase and download the Dirac Live® advanced speaker calibration program to your Mac® or PC. Fine-tune the output of your system to match the unique sonic characteristics of your space and bring your surround sound to exciting new heights.
Plentiful options for speaker setups
The AVR-A1H has outputs for a whopping 17 speakers, and it can power up to 15 at the same time. This gives you the flexibility to choose from different home theater and wired multi-room music configurations.
Use all 15 channels in a 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X® system, or go with a more modest surround sound setup and repurpose the extra channels for music in another zone. If you don't have height speakers, you can still enjoy simulated overhead effects with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.
You can even grow your system beyond the receiver's 15 built-in channels of power. Its 17-channel RCA preamp outputs make it an expansive preamp/processor if you want to add separate amplifiers.
Four subwoofer outputs
One of the most exciting features on this new receiver, in my opinion, is the inclusion of four (you read that right, FOUR) subwoofer outputs! The 'A1H wouldn't be a premier Denon receiver without the extra bass! Using multiple powered subs obviously gives you more bass, but also more balanced bass. Choose the "Standard" subwoofer setting for evenly distributed bass performance throughout the room, or "Directional" to tailor each sub's bass performance to the closest speaker.
Enjoy music your way
If you're like me, you'll use your new receiver to play music in addition to watching movies. The AVR-A1H lets you stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and even Apple AirPlay 2. It will also show up in your player list if you're using Roon (subscription required).
Love spinning vinyl? This receiver has a built-in phono input for your turntable. And if you've carefully curated an awesome digital music library, you can play high-resolution tracks from a USB drive or networked computer.
Expand your system with HEOS Built-in
HEOS Built-in technology lets you access all of your music — from your personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL — through the 'A1H.
This receiver can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system as well. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers and components in different rooms, and control each room's sound independently with the free HEOS app.
The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home or listen to something different in each room.
Just ask Alexa...
The HEOS Home Entertainment skill for Amazon Alexa lets you use your Alexa-compatible controller to issue voice commands to the AVR-A1H. You can easily switch inputs and control volume and playback on the receiver and other HEOS enabled devices.
Alexa can also help you search for music and stream different content to different rooms in your multi-room HEOS system.
...or your Google Assistant
The AVR-A1H is also compatible with Google Assistant-enabled devices. Launch a song in the HEOS app, and then ask your compatible voice controller or Google Pixel phone to change volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more.
Power and processing:
- 15-channel amplifier
- 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby®, DTS®, and Auro-3D® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Pro processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X® create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- Audyssey speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ® XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for four subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for further audio customization (paid app; not included)
- AL32 Processing Multichannel technology upsamples audio signals for clear, smooth sound
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and Spotify® (subscription required for some services)
- free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- works as a Roon player (requires subscription and Roon Core running on your network)
- Roon Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS drive, or other compatible hardware
- three-room/three-source output
- powered stereo outputs for second and third rooms allow playback in three rooms at once
- All Zone Stereo mode ensures that all zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- supports both analog and digital audio connections
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2/3 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- all inputs and 2 of 3 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- all inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision®, Dynamic HDR, and HLG
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and DTS:X Pro via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo RCA audio inputs
- 4 gold-plated RCA inputs
- one input that can be assigned for either RCA or XLR connection
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- analog balanced stereo XLR input for a compatible audio source
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- 17.4-channel preamp outputs, including four discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- mono unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR subwoofer outputs
- Pre-Amplifier Mode lets you use this receiver as a preamp/processor by bypassing the internal amplification when paired with optional external power amps
- RS-232C and remote (IR) connections for use with optional third-party controllers
- dual 12-volt trigger outputs for sending power commands to external gear, like a power amplifier or cooling fan
- gold-plated speaker terminals
- full-sized headphone jack
- removable power cord
Setup, dimensions, and warranty:
- free Denon AVR Remote app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- 17-1/8"W x 7-3/4"H x 19-5/8"D (10-3/16"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)